An insulin in blood test is typically used to:
- Determine the cause of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Insulin resistance can be diagnosed or monitored.
- People with type 2 diabetes should have their health checked on a regular basis.
- Find out if you have an insulinoma, a type of pancreatic tumour. If the tumour has been removed, the test may be used to determine whether or not the procedure was successful.
- An insulin in blood test is sometimes used in conjunction with other tests to aid in the diagnosis and monitoring of type 1 diabetes. Other tests that may be performed include glucose and haemoglobin AIC testing.